While making my resolution for 2017, I was inspired by Vix Meldrew’s ‘Creating a Fuck Budget’ blog post. The post discusses the book ‘‘The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a Fuck’ by the author Sarah Knight and I highly recommend it.
In my last post: ‘2016: Our first year in the cottage‘, I mentioned that there were some areas I wanted to dedicate more/less of my time to. Mostly, 2016 felt a bit ‘meh’. I didn’t achieve everything I had hoped to. I don’t think it was an issue of un-achievable aims, but rather that I felt a bit stuck. And to be fair, I’ve felt a bit stuck ever since I paid off my debts back in May 2015!
So, I have been having a think, working out where I need to give a fuck, and where I need to just say ‘adios’ to things/people/ideas so I can get focus and get stuff done (that I want to do!).
So…what are is my 2017 new year resolution? Giving less fucks!Reduce the number of fucks you give in 2017 and focus on what makes your life meaningful Click To Tweet
The ‘resolution rules’
In creating my new years resolution I wanted to think about the things I have been failing to achieve over the past year or so and what, I perceive, to be holding me back. If I can identify them, I can tackle them! I broke my resolution into sub-resolutions focusing on my blog/online profile, finances and my personal wellbeing.
All of my resolutions must be SMART – which means they must be:
Read more about smart resolutions on Gary at Super Saving Tips’ blog post: Resolved: 2017 Is Going to Be My Best Year Ever!
While identifying my SMART resolutions I also made sure I thought of where I needed to give less fucks. By conserving my energy for where I need to give a fuck means I should gain positively and overall (hopefully) achieve better well being and feel more positive generally!
My resolutions for ‘cottage retreatist’
- I will work harder to publish at least 3 blog posts per month for the whole of 2017. These will be blog posts concerning our attempts at self sufficiency, money management, hygge living and frugal but healthy eating!
- I aim to increase my follower count across my social media channels by the end of 2017 ( increasing them by at least 1/3) by working harder to create shareable/engaging content to support my blog posts and my profile.
Can fuck off:
- comparing myself to others and feeling unworthy – we all do it, seeing each other’s blog successes but really – I haven’t put in the effort this past year, so I can’t expect success without putting the time in. My own procrastination can fuck right off in 2017!
- Facebook stalking – I hardly ever go on Facebook anymore anyway but no more looking at others’ holidays, children, weddings, moviestar husband and thinking (again) ‘why not me’.
- We will live off a single income for all of 2017 so the second income can be used to pay off debts or go into savings. (we are already doing this more or less, so shouldn’t be an issue so long as we don’t ‘lifestyle inflate’).
- I will pay off the debt that we re-incurred in 2016 by paying off a manageable chunk each month until all debts have been repaid in full. The target for this date is July 2017.
- I will contact the payday loans companies who approved our ridiculous concurrent payday loans during 2011/2012 and request compensation for unfair lending. I will aim to have started correspondence by the end of January 2017. (I’ll keep you all updated on my progress on this).
- I will budget!!!! This will be done using a spreadsheet (like I used to use when we were paying off our debts) and it will be updated regularly as and when required.
- I will aim to start saving 40% of our income from July 2017 to December 2017 after our debts are paid off in full.
- I be starting any purchase off with ‘why am I buying this, do I need it?’ If the answer is ‘no’ it can stay out of my life!
Can fuck off:
- credit cards and all their evilness of apparent ‘free money’! As a partnership we still struggle with the ‘its borrowed not really ours’ concept so really we don’t deserve credit cards! They will be locked away once paid off. I wish I could close them but they are necessary for credit scores, which makes them even more evil!
- impulsive grocery shopping and all associated snack foods! No more post-work visits to tesco! I will shop according to a list and a mealplan and I will love it 😉
- buying clothes/unnecessary items! I have enough clothes and I have enough stuff! I don’t need any more so clutter and ‘stuff’ can fuck off as it is wasteful and unnecessary!
- I will take at least 1 holiday in 2017. We are about to enter our 9th year of not going on holiday (anywhere!) so we must go somewhere even if it is only 1 night in a hotel somewhere! There is a whole world out there to explore!
- I will plan my time better using a format that works best (I will try and use a bullet journal to start!) – making use of it daily, so I can spend time doing what I love: blogging, gardening, cooking and less time procrastinating and feeling guilty as a result!
- I will make sure I take time for myself at least 20 minutes every day of 2017 by doing meditation, exercise, gardening or reading and simply be a bit more hygge!
Can fuck off:
- feeling bad about treating myself. I have always had this problem but I work hard and earn a good salary and gosh darn it I deserve to treat myself! So no more feeling guilty! 🙂
- slugs! they got onto my veg last year but this year, out come the egg shells to keep those little monsters away from our homegrown produce!
I would love to hear how you decide your resolution or resolutions for the new year and I’ll be sure to check in with you to make sure I am staying on track!